Col. Bryan E. Tash is the Deputy Commander, Ninth Air Force, Shaw Air Force Base, South Carolina. Ninth Air Force organizes, trains, and equips its headquarters to be a deployable, operational-level Joint Task Force and its subordinate commands to prepare for an execute expeditionary taskings. Additionally, Ninth Air Force commands eight wings and three direct reporting units in the Southeastern, U.S., ensuring the operational readiness of more than 400 aircraft and 26,000 active duty and civilian members.
Colonel Tash was commissioned in 1995 as a graduate of the Virginia Military Institute ROTC program. While assigned to the F-16 System Program Office, he was responsible for avionics development and weapons integration for the Block 50 upgrade. He was then selected for pilot training. He also served as Flight Examiner, Chief of Wing Plans and Programs, Chief of Safety, Director of Operations, and Squadron Commander. Additionally, he served as the Inspector General for the 93rd Air Ground Operations Wing and U.S. Air Forces Central Command.
Colonel Tash is a command pilot with over 1,800 flying hours and has deployed in support of Operations Iraqi Freedom, New Dawn, and Enduring Freedom. He also deployed with the 1st Infantry Division and the 1st Calvary Division, Combined Joint Task Force-1. Prior to his current position, Colonel Tash was the Commander, 368th Expeditionary Air Support Operations Group, Southwest Asia.
1995 Bachelor of Science Degree, Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Va.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Master’s Degree, Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala. by correspondence
2011 Master of Science Degree, Aviation Aerospace Management, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
1. June 1995 - November 1998, Special Projects Program Manager, F-16 System Program Office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. December 1998 - June 2000, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. July 2000 - February 2001, Student, F-16 Initial Qualification, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. March 2001 - April 2004, Chief of Safety, 23rd Fighter Squadron, Wing Flight Safety Officer, 52nd Fighter Wing, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany (March 2003 - April 2003, 22nd Expeditionary Fighter Squadron, Al Udeid AB, Qatar)
5. May 2004 - June 2006, Assistant Director of Operations, Air Liaison Officer, 2nd Air Support Operations Squadron, Würzburg Army Installation, Germany (December 2004 - February 2005, Air Liaison Officer, 1st Infantry Division, Iraq)
6. July 2006 - June 2007, Assistant Director of Operations, 80th Fighter Squadron, Chief Wing Plans and Programs, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
7. July 2007 - July 2008, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. August 2008 - November 2010, T-38 Side Chief, Flight Examiner, 14th Operations Group; Director of Operations 50th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss. (Chief of Safety, 506th Air Expeditionary Group, Iraq)
9. December 2010 - May 2012, Director of Operations, 9th Air Support Operations Squadron, Ft Hood, Texas (November 2011 - April 2012, Director of Operations 817th Expeditionary Air Support Operations Squadron, Air Liaison Officer, Combined Joint Task Force-1, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan)
10. May 2012 - May 2014, Commander, 9th Air Support Operations Squadron, Fort Hood, Texas
11. June 2014 - July 2016, Inspector General, 93rd Air Ground Operations Wing, Moody AFB, Ga. (November 2014 - February 2015 Inspector General, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Al Udeid AB, Qatar)
12. July 2016 - June 2017, Joint Task Force Deputy - Rear, 9th Air Force, Shaw AFB, S.C.
13. June 2017 - June 2018, Commander, 368th Expeditionary Air Support Operations Group, Southwest Asia
14. June 2018 - Present, Deputy Commander, 9th Air Force, Shaw AFB, S.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. November 2011 - May 2012, Division Planner, Combined Joint Task Force-1, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan, as a lieutenant colonel
2. May 2017 - May 2018, Commander, 368th Expeditionary Air Support Operations Group, Air Liaison Officer Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve, Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, as a colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: More than 1,800
Aircraft Flown: F-16 30/40/50/CM, AT-38, and T-38C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medial with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
U.S. Air Forces in Europe Lance P. Sijan
U.S. Air Forces in Europe Company Grade Officer of the Year
Secretary of the Air Force John P. Flynn Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1995
First Lieutenant May 31, 1997
Captain May 31, 1999
Major Oct. 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2010
Colonel Dec. 1, 2016
(Current as of September 2019)